Basic Ingredients to Invest In:
- Lavender Essential Oil-I add Lavender to everything-not only does it smell incredible, it has anti inflammatory properties and is very calming,healing and nourishing. It is a universal oil, meaning every skin type can use it and benefit. It’s antibacterial and anti fungal qualities help to keep your products free from the yuckies!
- Geranium Essential Oil-Probably my favorite essential oil for skin, it helps even skin tone and increases circulation.
- Frankincense Essential Oil-works perfect in anti aging recipes. It firms, evens and nourishes. Plus, it’s so gentle. Perfect for every skin type.
- Peppermint Essential Oil-talk about a skin wake up call!! It helps brighten dull skin.
- Melaleuca (tea tree) Essential Oil-amazing for oilier skin types, it kills bacteria as well as prescription drugs but minus the side effects. I use it in my Skin Clearing Serum and as a spot treatment!
- Grapesfruit Seed Extract
- Vitamin E
- Essential Oils
- Citric Acid
A few Points….
- Always wash your hands before starting a recipe-DIY skin care is just like food-you don’t want to contaminate it.
- Never turn your stove above medium heat-Always use the minimum amount of heat to keep your oils potent.
- Salves and serums are much easier to make then lotions. The only point in making lotions is because the water acts as a “vehicle” for the oils to penetrate the skin quickly.
- I buy most of my bottles and jars HERE. Always shoot for glass containers. They are nicer and healthier. Essential oils really don’t like plastic!
- Always try to add your essential oils in at the very end. Heat renders them ineffective. Sometimes with salves/balms I will let them cool completely, add essential oils, then mix the salve/balm with a spoon. It gives your salves/balms a creamy consistency.
- Remember-if you can cook, you can make skin care. Let me revise that-because I’m not a great cook-if you can follow a recipe, you can make skin care.